History
Today’s Nambour emerges out of the ashes of town’s history
AUDIENNE BLYTH recalls the trauma and drama of fiery disasters – and the community efforts to overcome them – that flamed new developments.
Nambour’s CBD has seen some destructive fires. Those who have fought the fires have harrowing stories to tell.
In 1914, when the Commercial Hotel and adjacent shops were destroyed by fire, townspeople formed a bucket brigade while a team of axemen began to demolish the neighbouring ES & A bank to stop the fire from spreading. Another bucket brigade fought the next big fire in 1924 when 17 businesses and 16 shops were destroyed.
Some measures were taken. The Central Fire Brigade, from Brisbane, arrived by special train to help. Council gelignite was used to blow up one building while axemen again tried to demolish another to halt the flames. The townspeople decided to set up a fire brigade.
And there were more fires. In 1928, the Empire Theatre, a boarding house, cannery and Nambour Motors were lost.
The year 1929 saw the Council Chambers destroyed, as well as three businesses, the Town Hall with its picture show, and the Town Library.
But 1946 saw the greatest loss ever, just before Christmas, with Whalley’s Stores, Lowe’s Butchery, Moffat’s Newsagency, Hill’s Hairdressing Salon and Moroney’s Fruit Shop in the firing line. A ship’s bell was hung at the Nambour Police Station – to be rung to warn of future fires.
For the next fire in 1948, the hoses were ready in half-an-hour. Nambour and Yandina fire brigades were at hand, along with brigades from other local towns. Men stood knee deep in Petrie Creek, keeping the hoses above the mud.
The fire ravaged the Council Chambers, Savoy Picture Co and Bentley & Shrapnel. Nine tenants were water-damaged.
A fire station was established in 1950.
A fire chief was appointed the following year and, in 1955, a new brick fire station was built.
A town water supply was available in 1961 but was unable to save the Royal Hotel and the Royal George Hotel, which burnt down that year. The Commercial Hotel burnt down for the third time in 1966.
No doubt some of us can recall the fires of the 1980s. In 1986, Woolworths’ Variety Store, then in Currie Street, suffered a fire. Racks of smoke-damaged goods were wheeled out into the street.
The work of an arsonist in 1987 shocked the community. The fire brigade had six fires to fight: each one lit after the other. The Uniting Church and its nearby hall were destroyed. Other churches – St John’s Anglican Church, St Joseph’s Catholic Church and St Luke’s Lutheran Church – were badly damaged.
Flames could be seen from as far away as Bli Bli. An estimation of the damage was $1million. It became known as “the night Nambour burned”.
In 2010, a new fire and rescue station was opened in Bli Bli Road. Currently, it houses 23 firemen, three trucks and a water tanker. There are always four firemen on any shift. Support comes from part-timers.
Crews assist ambulances with rescues. Their main calls are road traffic accidents but they also receive calls to bushfires and building fires. Firefighters provide safety education programs, information and resources to keep us and loved ones safe.
Audienne Blyth is a member of the Nambour Historical Museum, open 1-4pm Wednesdays to Fridays, and 10am-3pm on Saturdays.
