Connect with us

Your Time Magazine

Moreton steams through to its 125th year

History

Moreton steams through to its 125th year

AUDIENNE BLYTH delves into the history of a special locomotive that has served the Sunshine Coast well.

The Ginger Factory at Yandina recently held a birthday party for Moreton, originally a steam locomotive, built in Germany in 1901.

In 1905, Moreton was the first locomotive used by the Moreton Central Sugar Mill in Nambour, replacing teams of horses in hauling wagons of cane. Steam haulage disappeared by 1970 and was replaced by diesel locomotives. By then, Moreton had been decommissioned.

Entrepreneurs Ross and Jenny Robertson restored the old loco and added some carriages. A diesel-hydraulic engine replaced steam. By 1992, Moreton had a new purpose: hauling carriages of tourists with a commentary about the cane and ginger industries.

The Ginger Factory, which processes ginger for the Buderim Ginger Company, was established in 1979 when the early factory at Buderim needed to expand. It was opened by then premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen in 1980. Its most famous guests were Prince Charles and Princess Diana, who visited the factory in 1983.

Ginger as a productive crop was first grown on Buderim where the climate and soil were deemed suitable. By 1929, the Ginger Growers Association was formed. In World War II, shortages of the rhizome meant the growing of ginger locally was worthwhile. The Buderim Ginger Factory was built for processing in 1942.

Factory handyman Maurie Richards recalls: “Buderim in those years was a quiet country town with farms where most of the ginger was grown. Cows roamed the streets and would often eat your garden flowers.

“The factory ran 24 hours a day processing ginger, which was mostly manual work.

“Local farmers wanting to supplement their incomes worked the night shift. The company joined with Warrys, of Maryborough, to produce the Merrybud brand. In season, two to three tonnes of strawberries might arrive daily. Women worked as sorters.

“Cans on conveyor belts received the fresh strawberries and syrup with a colourant. Mick Mead was the cook and he was the best jam maker. There was a staff of 60. The local police would arrive almost daily, saying there had been complaints about the trucks blocking the street outside the factory. As well, tourist buses delivered, at peak times, 1000 visitors a day.”

Geoff Shrapnel was the general manager for 20 years from 1954 to 1974 and, under his guidance, research, supply and finances improved. Success was attributed to him and Doris Marbech. Other production pioneers were: Vince Crosby, Daphne McKeiver, Harry Ham and Alan Templeton.

 Audienne Blyth is a member of the Nambour Historical Museum, open 1-4pm Wednesdays to Fridays, and 10am-3pm on Saturdays.

More in History

To Top