History
How we used to get our message across via the telegraph office
AUDIENNE BLYTH looks at a time when Morse Code and telegrams ruled long-distance communication – more than a century before social media.
Modern communication and its methods leave us in wonder. A recent trip on The Ghan reminded me of another wonder of the age.
In 1872, a telegraph line from Adelaide to Darwin was opened, enabling fast communication between Australia and the rest of the world.
In 1837, Samuel Morse invented the system of morse code used in the electric telegraph. Messages, using a set of dots and dashes assigned to each letter of the alphabet, could be sent faster than any other invention previously made – the wonder of the age.
The distress signal SOS was three dots/three dashes/three dots.
The discovery of gold at Gympie in 1867 brought development: a road was built between Brisbane and Gympie.
A telegraph line was established along it – a marked tree line, a bush track, slow and unreliable.
City investors needed to know about gold finds. Maintenance on the 267km (166 mile) ‘galvanised wire’ was carried out by a linesman from either Caboolture or Gympie. There were continual mishaps along the line, especially after bad weather.
The poles, hopefully made to last, of ironbark or bloodwood might have collapsed or the wires might have broken from storm damage.
As well, the line needed to be clear of trees and undergrowth.
In 1874, a telegraph office was opened in Yandina.
William Peter Clark, who built other government buildings, was the Bli Bli contractor for a cost of 340 pounds.
The building contained four large rooms with a veranda all around, a generous-sized kitchen and a brick open fireplace and chimney.
On one side of the building, there was a small window for inquiries or the lodging of telegrams.
The officer-in-charge and his assistant were required to maintain the line from Landsborough to Tuchekoi: a distance of 93km (58 miles).
As the men were often away from the office, telegrams could be left at the nearby hotel. The cost was one shilling for 10 words and one penny for each additional word.
The names of the men who worked the station were John Power, Charles Miller, H Bishop, Robert Scott and Joshua Davies.
By 1887, the officers complained that the building was being eaten by white ants and needed extensive repairs.
The postmaster general would not agree to the expense.
His reason was that the railway would soon be opened and the business of the telegraph office and equipment would be rehoused at the railway station.
In 1891, the Yandina Railway Station was opened and the station master duly became the telegraph officer as the telegraph line was also relocated along the railway line. A third title was added when he also became the postmaster.
The old telegraph office did receive a new lease on life when it was used as a police station in 1891. Police were stationed there for a year and were expected to patrol the railway construction camp, Main Camp at Mount Earwah, Eumundi.
It was believed that at Yandina, the two constables would be far enough away from the great temptations of such a place, yet close enough to make raids on the trading of illicit grog – which they successfully did.
The Yandina Telegraph Office was sold and became a private dwelling to be renovated beyond recognition.
In 2025, little remains to remind us of its glory days.
Audienne Blyth is a member of the Nambour Historical Museum, open 1-4pm Wednesdays to Fridays, and 10am-3pm Saturdays.
